Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Police car hits Hispanic male threatening and shooting a firearm

My thoughts on some common sense observations and ideas:

The outcome of this might have been a shoot out or otherwise.  Should we be continually critical about every aspect of law enforcement maneuvers?  I think not.  At the same time I think law enforcement shouldn't be so critical of we the people either over everything we do.  

As for police officers doing their job I have to say this:  Let them do their jobs and do not require quotas for them to obtain enforcement revenue.  That would cut down on the traffic stop stalking that goes on and is getting completely overdone across the country.  Since traffic stops are dangerous both to the officer and to the occupants of the targeted vehicle, why not seek to avoid those encounters as much as possible?  It's a sad state of affairs when quotas for tickets are a priority for revenue rather than for police officers surveilling real criminals.  

I personally would like to see a squad parked in my own yard at night doing paperwork where they area  deterrent to real crime rather than watching me put my seat belt on or off or whether I'm occasionally found doing 5 or 10 miles over a posted speed limit during normal driving transitions or while in the flow of traffic.  

Should cops be paid to do nothing?  You bet they should.  They should have a few days of nothing if nothing occurs.  Our society is becoming way too micromanaged and will only get worse now with video surveillance and the court of public opinion and mainstream media:


You don't always get tickets:  

I was on my way to work one day and was talking on my cell phone.  Oh how terrible right?  I drove the same route every day and this particular day was having a good conversation with a friend.  You might say I was distracted a bit and I agree but I'm quite capable of multitasking and being vigilant at the same time.  Nevertheless I found myself running through a 45 MPH zone at 62 MPH and went right by the sheriff squad who was parked on the side of the highway.   When I saw him I then noticed my speed and I obviously figured out what was about to occur.  And so he pulled me over:

Although he knew me I don't feel some sort of benefit to do what I want to do and so he asked me the usual question, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" 

I answered, "Yes..." and when he asked about how fast I was going I immediately gave him an answer that I was going about 62 MPH.  I also told him what I was doing and how I couldn't believe I didn't slow down in the usual spot where I drive every single day.  He gave me a warning but he really could have made me miserable otherwise and gotten revenue.

And so I see that as an example of PROTECTING AND SERVING.  It reminded me to pay attention again.  I may need another reminder down the road somewhere and already have probably given myself personal constructive criticism over various situations.  

I also watched another cop I was driving behind one time go down the road and everyone coming the other way that he was clocking on his radar speeding he would turn his lights on and they would simply slow down.   He probably had a dozen or more opportunities over a 5 mile stretch to turn around and chase them down but he chose not to do so for some reason which is usually not the norm.  But he got them to slow down instead.  

The point is for most of us who don't hate the police and are not lurking out there looking to commit crime or operate unlawfully but rather respect law and order, we know we will make certain mistakes along the way and we appreciate the friendly reminders of how we ought to behave and not become careless.  To those officers I say, "Thank you."

Here's another story:

I remember storm chasing (actually being chased by) a strong tornado in Oklahoma and when it was time to move east and escape from this approaching tornado I was the leader of probably at least 100 or more cars of storm chasers and media on an east west county roadway.  The tornado was coming directly down or just slightly off that roadway behind me.  When I pulled out to escape I was first in the line and behind me was an Oklahoma Highway Patrolman.  I immediately went into speeding and was driving no less than 70 to 80 MPH for probably 15 or more miles.  The officer was right behind me and kept up with me and behind him was an entire line of vehicles escaping the storm's path.

If I had not gone fast (and I won't disclose here what I was really doing) the line behind me would have been held back and in grave immediate danger.  You could take all the time you want to argue about storm chasing, freedom, and so forth but the point here is that if I would have sat there at 45MPH who's to say who would have been killed because of me obeying the law?  

When we got well up ahead I talked to the deputy who was actually with his young son riding with him.  I think he picked his boy up at home and took him out on the road for safety because their house was very near the track of this dangerous storm.  He knew what I was doing and he actually commended me for doing so.  He said he was concerned that I was going to go too slow or pull over because he had his emergency lights on but when I did not he thanked me for using some common sense in this situation.  

And so it's nice when all things work out in a situation and even though you might choose to be critical about this situation or other details and opinions but in this present imperfect world there will be days things work out and days that they don't always work out as we might like them to.  And so I choose to use some rational thought and common sense which may or may not be to everyone's approval at times, but I am happy I am still somewhat free to do so until the computers start driving and thinking for us.

People should remember to communicate with police officers in certain situations especially where you may have done something wrong but you can present your case quickly to them as to what happened even if you should have to admit some sort of wrong doing.  It may serve you well to do so quickly and put them in a different mind set rather than to have them deal with some uncooperative offender which is very often the case these days.  In other words OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND TALK and explain some things clearly and quickly regarding the offense.  It may be to your benefit and hopefully your officer will be one with understanding and not some self-conceited brat.  Obviously there are unfortunate circumstances in dealing with people but I think most Americans can at least attempt turn the pages ahead and try to be part of the solution rather than making more problems for all of us.

...developing...